Saturday 7 September 2019

Antonio Brown asks Raiders to release him in Instagram post

The Antonio Brown saga with the Oakland Raiders has taken yet another turn.
Just when it seemed the two sides were trending toward a union, Brown posted on Instagram Saturday morning asking the team to release him.
Oakland voided the guaranteed salary in Brown's contract and that the team was discussing releasing him, a person with knowledge of the situation told USA TODAY Sports.
The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation.
The video was posted shortly after it was reported that Brown would in fact be available to play Monday night.
"I have worked my whole life to prove that the system is blind to see talent like mines," Brown's post reads, in part. "Now that everyone sees it, they want me to conform to that same system that has failed me all those years. “I’m not mad at anyone. I’m just asking for the freedom to prove them all wrong." Release me @raiders."

ESPN reporter Jeff Darlington tweeted that he received an e-mail from Brown, with the receiver telling him that the team "took away his guarantees" and said there's "no way I play after they took that and made my contract week to week."